My husband has been craving a taco salad for quite some time, but I for whatever reason it never seemed to make it onto the dinner menu. I guess it was winter and we just didn’t have all these veggies in the house. That is my excuse anyway.
Tonight was his lucky night. We actually had all the ingredients, and I had the time to make it, so we had Taco Salad tonight. He was happy. 🙂
Here is the recipe:
Easy Taco Salad (Makes enough for 2)
Make the Meat Mixture:
- 1/2# Ground Beef
- 1/2 small onion chopped
- 1/4 green, yellow or red pepper chopped
- 1 small can tomato juice (5.5 oz)
- Spices: Cilantro, Chili Powder, Cumin, Salt & Pepper
- I use about a Tsp chili powder, 1/2 tsp cumin and just a sprinkle of salt, pepper & cilantro) – you might like yours spicier.
- Brown ground beef. About 1/2 way through browning, add onion & pepper.
- Once browned, add spices and tomato juice. Simmer until most of the juice is absorbed.
Assemble the Salad:
- 1/2 head lettuce, washed and torn into bite sized chunks
- 1 med to large tomato / chopped
- 1 stalk celery, washed and chopped fine
- 3 scallions, washed and chopped
- 1/2 c. shredded Mexican cheese or cheddar
- 1/4 green, yellow or red pepper, washed and chopped.
- Crushed tostada or corn chips
- Optional – Black Olives
- Optional – Black Beans, washed and heated
- Optional – Sour Cream
- Optional – Your favorite salad dressing (Russian, Thousand Island, Catalina, etc)
- Add lettuce, tomato, celery, peppers to large bowl.
- Arrange broken corn chips around the side of the bowl
- Add meat (and beans if desired) over the top.
- Top with cheese, sour cream (if desired), olives or Salad dressing.
- Sprinkle chopped scallions over the top.