My niece is due with her baby in a few weeks, and she is SO excited. I have been knitting furiously trying to get her gifts finished so I can send them out on time.
I made the baby cocoons and matching hats for them (separate post), but had some yarn left over. I decided to have some fun and do some experimentation. This is one of the results:
Gathered Baby Hat
- CO 52, skipping every 4th needle. You should have banks of 3 needles in work)
- Knit a couple rows and hang weights
- Knit total of 20 rows and then hang hem.
- Change to stitch dial 5
- Reset Counter
- Knit 1 row and then bring all needles into work (so the ones you initially left out while casting, on bring them in)
- K 24 rows (about 1/2 way up, knit in some alternate color stripes if you wish)
- Transfer every 4th needle to the needle at the right of it.
- take empty needles out of work
- Knit 1 row
- Bring needles back in to work
- Knit between 10 and 20 rows depending on how tall you want the gathered top of the hat to be.
- Cast off.
- Fold in half /sew up side seams
- Reduce stitch size to 4
- Cast on 4 needles with e-wrap.
- Set carriage so that the back lever on one side is pulled forward, and the front lever on the other side is pushed back
- Knit back and forth until about 5-6” long.
- Move outer needles to the inner 2 needles. Manually knit row.
- Decrease so there is one stitch left.
- Cast off.