I used to live “up north” in Michigan. The town I lived in had a restaurant which served the most amazing submarine sandwiches — and they delivered! I enjoyed many a late night Italian submarine sandwich, but since I moved away (a long time ago now), I have not found another that I liked as well.
Necessity is the mother of invention, or something like that…. so here is my knock-off version.
- Submarine Sandwich buns (hoagie type)
- Capicola Ham
- Italian Hard Salami (the kind that is more brown than pink or red).
- Provolone Cheese
- Swiss Cheese
- Shredded green cabbage
- Italian Dressing (plain old Italian Wishbone is the closest I have found, but use whatever Vinegar/Oil or Vinaigrette you like)
- Sliced Banana Pepper Rings
- Slice hoagie buns (long ways)
- Layer on meats, then cheeses.
- Note (if the meat is very cold, you may want to warm it first in the microwave to just take the chill off)
- Toast for a couple of minutes under the broiler or in a toaster oven with the top off of the sandwich (but toast the tops too, just not ON the sandwich).
- Once it starts to brown, and the cheese is bubbly, remove from oven and add some cabbage and a couple of peppers.
- Top with Italian Dressing.
- Put on the “lid” and enjoy!